– This is going to be very difficult for me. – We just dressed and started the engine again. The break I did was exactly what I was needing to adjust my empathy levels. – Kris, I know you, and I know you’re trying to cope with the changes I triggered, but on this life, one needs to understand that there is a moment when you have no choice but embrace the changes. – I nod. – As your superior officer, from now on I forbid you to use your nanobots unless they are really needed.
– Why is that? – I’m focused on the road. I’m looking forward to reach the Golden Towers, somehow I feel like now I will understand more about what they are, what they mean, than before when I started the trip. And now I get this weird order.
– Although they don’t always know what they say, the Imperial Guard has sensors. And they will be triggered if you use your enhancements. I can’t prove that to you, so you need to trust me. – I turn my head to look at him for a second. Hakim is facing the infinite, like remembering something sad that happened long time ago. I’m tempted to ask what does it mean trust for him, then he continues. – I love you, Kris. I told you. But this world we live, this Empire, is not fair for everybody. You may think the Emperor and the Empress are the ones with the power to decide what you can have and what you can’t. Or maybe the Court. The truth is, they don’t have such a power. We have. The future is ours, we have the right to decide what we do with it.
– I understand. – And I do, and I seem to recall now that Hakim spoke this way before, when I didn’t have the nanos to help me to process the information. – A position of power can result on an abuse of power.
– Right. Is that the nanocites speaking, or does it come from Kris? – I hit his head with my hand. – Ouch. Just joking. I will add something to your digression. This is what we call the power loop. You make somebody powerful and this person will abuse of that. You need some kind of control. So, enlight me Kris, how can we escape from the power loop?
– I don’t know. – I sort out a big hump on the road. We both jump from our sits synchronously, like toys out of a spring box. I think I should laugh at the picture, but I can’t. So I continue like if nothing happened. – I suppose… the only way to escape is to hide this power from the others, so the others will not realize the subject has power.
– Very good. The so called “power in the shadow”. Well, we need to be that power, Kris. We need to watch that our little world, that is, the Empire, does survive the current crisis. And by crisis I mean the wedding…